Custom Fields - Presentation
If you want to change the design or options for your custom field, go to the Presentation tab. *Only Account Owners are able to edit the custom field settings.
- Go to People / Configuration / Custom Fields.
- Select the "edit" button next to the field you wish to change.
- Select the Presentation tab.
- HTML Block (no field) - This option is for when you do not want to include an actual field box, but would like to include a picture or text within the page.
- Checkboxes - The user will be able to select more than one option.
- Select Box (drop down) - The user can choose from a list of preset choices that will "drop down".
- Radio Buttons - The user will be able to select only one option.
- Text (multiple lines) - The text will word wrap.
- Date - A calendar will pop up and the user will be able to select a date.
- Text (single line) - The user is limited to the number of characters that will fit in the width of the field.
The width (# of characters) of your field. This only applies if you are creating a text field (see above). If you want to increase the height, enter the width, then the height separated by a comma. Ex) 20,2
If you want the field to default to certain data.
These are the choices you want to present when using a drop down menu, check boxes, or radio buttons.
- Enter one choice per line.
- We recommend typing 2 or 3 spaces and a hard return as the first choice so that the default value of the field is blank and does not automatically default to the first choice in your list.
- For better reporting, use the format: "1-Jones|Jones" (what you want presented to the parent|(vertical pipe)what gets presented in your reports)
- Be sure that the stored value (the part after the |) is unique for each name. For example, if you have two teachers with the same last name (1st & 5th grade) you might want to use Jones1 and Jones5 as the stored values.
- Also, VERY IMPORTANT! - DO NOT USE COMMAS in your list of options. Use only hyphens or underscores if needed. Otherwise, it will cause problems with adding/using form conditions and your auto-populating lists and groups will not populate correctly.
These options allow you to set up a data field that will present as a telephone number, email address, number, or dollar amount.
Data fields can be set so that an answer or choice is required. For more information on how to do this, see Input Validation - Requiring an Answer.