Recording/Entering a Handwritten Check
**If you intend to print a check from your computer/printer instead of entering a handwritten check - see our article on How to Print Checks.
Checks can only be recorded against an asset account that is set up as a checking account. (If you are not presented with the option to write a check, be sure that your Asset Account is set up correctly. Go to the Chart of Accounts and edit the Checking Account.)
How to Record a Handwritten Check
- Go to Accounting / Summary.
- Select the “write a check” button.
- In the Checking Account field, select the Asset Account you will be printing the check from.
- Enter the Check Number.
- Enter the Check Date.
- In the "Payee" field, use the drop down field to select an active vendor or click on the "+add vendor" button to enter a new vendor. This will take you to the "Quick Add Vendor" page where you will complete the vendor information.
- For "Ledger Accounts & Amounts for Expense", select the appropriate ledger account from the drop down menu and add the amount. Use the memo field to add a specific memo for each account line.
- Click "Save."